"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin;
"And when politicians find that honor and character matter less than buying votes and a constituency, that too will herald the end of the Constitution. When that happens we must work tirelessly to change their minds, or their occupation!" - Hoping The Blind Will See

Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Lead Mechanic And The Corvette

Ok, I bought this older car and it needed some work. It's a '63 Corvette, and it's had a few things done in the past - some belts replaced, plugs, oil, new wheels and a new sound system. Looks a little less than new, and runs a little rough, but it's a classic right? So I make an appointment, and in I go to the "mechanic".

Upon my arrival I am met by a polished salesman who tells me "don't worry, we can fix this car so it's better than new."

"Well, how much will it cost", I ask.

"Not sure yet son, but don't worry, this is the best car ever made in it's price range! Let me change a few things and it'll be running a good as new!"

He tells me to call later and he'll let me know what needs to be done. So off I go back to do some yard work.

Later that afternoon I call the salesman. He says "Let me have you talk to the lead mechanic."

"Hello, this is Barry O, can I help you?" You're confused. This guy sounds just like the salesman. "Wasn't I just talking to you", you say?

"Oh, yeah, but I was wearin' my other hat." "I'm the lead mechanic now. Let me tell you what I've done, what I want to do, and what you need to do! I know you're gonna be impressed."

"First, I took the liberty of changing the fenders, I had some in stock - from a 69 Trans Am - so I'll just charge you the labor. Parts are free - good deal so far, huh?" "Oh, and I tore out that old sound system, what was that a 2008? You gotta move with the times, son! I put in a new system with XM radio - you're gonna love it!" "What, you don't think you'll use it? You will, trust me! You're gonna love it once you find out what it does!"

"Ok", I say, "why did you do those things without asking me? And how much is it gonna cost?"

"Well, I've been in the car business a long time son, and I know what this car needed. You may not realize it now, but that car needed a change. It was looking old! And although it doesn't look exactly like a Corvette any longer, it will be a sweet car when I'm done." "And to be truthful, well, I wouldn't do the work if you didn't buy the sound system. It's a requirement of my services. I make sure everyone who comes here has one !"

"Now let me tell you what else I have planned. I'm gonna put in a V-16 engine, we'll take a V-8 add a few things, take a few things off - it'll run as good as new. We'll make it fit. You'll see. And oh, I'm gonna paint this baby pepto pink! It's gonna look great. You'll be the talk of the town!"

"But how am I going to pay for all that, and to be honest, I'm not sure I want all that," I say. "What's the bill going to be?"

"Don't worry about the bill son. Look at the car! I didn't make this mess, son. You hired me, though, and I'm gonna fix it. Just stay out of my way! I don't mind workin' on the mess, but I don't need you standing in my way!"

"You're gonna have a one of a kind sorta muscle car here! And it is going to be sweet!" "It's gonna take us some time, we'll do some of the work now - on the frame and engine, but we'll get into the nuts and bolts after we have that in place. We'll know better how much it's gonna cost and how long it will take in a couple weeks."

Now I'm way beyond worried. This guy's only had my Corvette for a day and already it no longer looks like a Corvette, it isn't going to have a Corvette engine, it's going to be a color I don't want, and have accessories I don't need and won't use. But I'm told I'm required to take them. And only God knows what else he wants to do. I can't get my car back, because it's got too much of his stuff on it and in it. He won't release it to me. He's not listening to me when I say I don't want this stuff. All I wanted was an estimate for crying out loud. Now look at me. In retrospect, I guess I should have done a little more research on the mechanic before I brought the car in. Duh, ya think?


Well, maybe I should have more kids... somebody has to pay for this!

 All Is Not Lost If Men And Women Are Prepared To Fight! Let's Restore Our Corvette!

No comments:

Post a Comment