"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin;
"And when politicians find that honor and character matter less than buying votes and a constituency, that too will herald the end of the Constitution. When that happens we must work tirelessly to change their minds, or their occupation!" - Hoping The Blind Will See

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Am I The Only One Who Thinks This Way?

Let me preface this article by disclosing that I am a white American. I am also conservative and a constitutionalist. None of us currently living in America has ever been a slave owner. And no American still alive was ever a slave. So then why would any of us be required to pay "reparation" for something we had no involvement in? Why would anyone feel entitled to receive "reparation", in any form, for something that happened before they were born? How have they been harmed? What proof of harm can they present as support of their claim(s)? And if some form of proof could be procured, what proof can be presented that would tie any of us to those claim(s)"? I am a descendant from a minor Indian tribe - should I feel entitled to reparation? I don't think so. I wasn't placed on a reservation. No one alive today placed anyone on a reservation. My government is not an abstract body - it is people. And none of them placed me on a reservation. So what am I entitled to? Only life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - all for which I'm grateful. I have never considered myself a racist. I still believe that every person has a right to the same rights as every other person, and that those are enumerated in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. I have had black friends in my life, and black mentors as well. I firmly believe that there should be no Affirmative Action, but that all Americans be held to the same standards regardless of race, color, creed, or gender. I believe that there have been many black Americans who are smarter and/or more driven than me, and have proven that by where they have driven their life, and the level of achievement they have accomplished. The same holds true for many white, Hispanic and Asian Americans. But I also know that there are many black and white, and Asian and Hispanic Americans who are less intelligent, and less driven, than I. And I have achieved more than those individuals in my life. And I believe that is how it should be. To each according to their intelligence and drive. We all start out knowing nothing and none of us is able to crawl. That's a pretty level playing field, wouldn't you say? But at some point, we all start making choices. Some conscious, some not. Some of us choose to apply ourselves at school more diligently than others. Some of us decide to drop out of school. Some of us choose the wrong friends. Some of us decide to be promiscuous, or quit college. All the decisions we make in life lead us to what we achieve in our lifetimes. And choices have consequences (shouldn't we be teaching our children that?). So why would anyone think they are entitled to the rewards of someone else's hard work? You can't use the "poor" card as an excuse, too many people have picked themselves up from poverty and become successful -black, Asian, Hispanic and white. So someone please explain to me where the unfairness in America is coming from. White America is handicapped by Affirmative Action, the ACLU, the NAACP, reverse discrimination, double standards, and the list goes on. When will we finally say "Every Man and Woman In America Is Created Equal" - period! What you do with your "equalness" is up to you. When will we stand up and say "We All Made Our Choices In Life,. They Had Consequences! Now Live With Them Or Change Your Circumstances"? When will we say, as Tecumseh said, "From My Tribe (society) I Take Nothing, I Am The Maker of My Own Fortune". Where di d that pride disappear to? When did we lose the willingness to stand on our own two feet. When did we forget about personal responsibility? What ever happened to the John Wayne's of the world? How did we transform into a country of entitlements? And why do we think that's OK? Where will the new pioneers come from? The entrepreneurs? The visionaries? They will come less and less from America, because of the choices we have made. The consequences are not irreversible, however. We can change our circumstances. We can roll up our sleeves and dig in. We can all be John Wayne's. Would he roll up his sleeves, or turn and run? You decide. Wake Up America!

No comments:

Post a Comment