"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin;
"And when politicians find that honor and character matter less than buying votes and a constituency, that too will herald the end of the Constitution. When that happens we must work tirelessly to change their minds, or their occupation!" - Hoping The Blind Will See

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dear Senator___________/Representative_______________

To borrow a favorite phrase of President Obama’s, let me be clear. Under no circumstances do I want you to vote for health care legislation that has a government option – period. I also do not want you to vote for any health care legislation that does not include a comprehensive tort reform component. Most Americans do understand that health care costs are increasing – but Congress, and the President himself, has been disingenuous by not explaining why. The biggest influence driving health care cost is litigation – pure and simple. Insurance premiums and excessive & unnecessary medical testing to avoid malpractice suits are just two of the results of that litigation. Past government mandates on "conditions" insurance companies must cover have also added to the cost. Why would we want government to be further involved? Generally speaking, we have the best doctors in the world, the best medical research in the world, and perhaps the most dedicated and compassionate health care workers in the world. I, one of 'we the people', do not want that to change, and I do not trust that Congress will get any form of health care legislation right, never mind a bill that is rushed through Congress for the sake of “getting something passed and on the table”. I do not want the details to be worked out later – I want to know exactly what will be contained in the bill before it is slated for a vote. I expect you to convey that expectation to every member of Congress, and I expect to be able to view the finished product for a minimum of 7 days prior to it being voted on. Not signed by the President, voted on. Are you listening? Many American people share my view, and people in Washington need to understand that it will be a long time before I, and many like me, stop watching you and all the other members of Congress. I have spent 8 months educating myself on what Congress is, and has been, doing. Many millions of other Americans have done the same. And I do not like what I see so far, and I guarantee you that I have scratched only the surface of the corrupt behavior in Congress. There will be greater accountability for Congress in the months, years and decades to come. The days of free reign for Congress is over. You work for me, for us – we the people, and you will honor our will, or you will be looking for another job. No more personal agenda’s or ideological agenda’s will be tolerated, only the will of the people. Don’t presume to know what that will is - listen to us. Hold town hall meetings – not staged – that will allow you to learn what the people want. If what the people want does not match your agenda or ideology, then I suggest you look for a new line of work. You may find the tone of this message to be offensive, perhaps even disrespectful. It is not intended as either, but it is designed to catch your attention. It is designed to make you “hear” what I am saying. Rest assured, I do not like the tone coming out of Washington. I intend to be part of the solution to change that tone. You can change with it, or you can leave Congress – willingly or not. It’s your choice. Disclaimer: I wrote this letter to my two Senators and my Representative. Please contact yours! Wake up America!

No comments:

Post a Comment